Answered

import voices or changing them to match teens

JNJ 7 years ago updated by Gil Sideman 7 years ago 10

Is it possible to import voices into Site Pal. None of the voices match any of the child or teen avatars. If not, what can I change to make the current voices sound like a teen/child? If I change the pitch, the voices sound robotic.

Answer

Answer
Under review

Hi JNJ -

You can't import voices - but you can get good results with pitch & rate adjustment by using SSML prosody tags in the text. They don't work the same way for all voices, best when used with engine 3 female voices.

Here are some examples - try these & let me know what you think.

1. Voice: Ashley - 3,1,6 <prosody pitch="+100%" rate="-5%"> My mom says too much chocolate is not good for you. So I won't give you any. </prosody>

2. Voice: Bridget - 3,1,4 <prosody pitch="+100%" rate="-5%"> My mom says too much chocolate is not good for you. So I won't give you any. </prosody>
3. Voice: Bridget - 3,1,4 <prosody pitch="+50%" rate="+5%"> My mom says too much chocolate is not good for you. So I won't give you any. </prosody>
4. Voice: Julie - 3,1,3 <prosody pitch="+50%" rate="-5%"> My mom says too much chocolate is not good for you. So I won't give you any. </prosody>
5. Voice: Julie - 3,1,3 <prosody pitch="+20%" rate="+5%"> My mom says too much chocolate is not good for you. So I won't give you any. </prosody>
GOOD, I'M SATISFIED
Satisfaction mark by JNJ 7 years ago
Answer
Under review

Hi JNJ -

You can't import voices - but you can get good results with pitch & rate adjustment by using SSML prosody tags in the text. They don't work the same way for all voices, best when used with engine 3 female voices.

Here are some examples - try these & let me know what you think.

1. Voice: Ashley - 3,1,6 <prosody pitch="+100%" rate="-5%"> My mom says too much chocolate is not good for you. So I won't give you any. </prosody>

2. Voice: Bridget - 3,1,4 <prosody pitch="+100%" rate="-5%"> My mom says too much chocolate is not good for you. So I won't give you any. </prosody>
3. Voice: Bridget - 3,1,4 <prosody pitch="+50%" rate="+5%"> My mom says too much chocolate is not good for you. So I won't give you any. </prosody>
4. Voice: Julie - 3,1,3 <prosody pitch="+50%" rate="-5%"> My mom says too much chocolate is not good for you. So I won't give you any. </prosody>
5. Voice: Julie - 3,1,3 <prosody pitch="+20%" rate="+5%"> My mom says too much chocolate is not good for you. So I won't give you any. </prosody>

Would I include these tags in the "sayText" function like

sayText ("<prosody pitch="+20%" rate="+5%"> My mom says too much chocolate is not good for you. So I won't give you any. </prosody>",6,1,3);

Yes exactly.

You can also use them in the text entered in the UI when you create audio in the editor.

I'm not using the editor, only the javascript API. I don't see any change when changing the pitch and rate values though.

sayText ("<prosody pitch='low' rate='+3%'> My mom says too much chocolate is not good for you. So I won't give you any. </prosody>",6,1,3);

is no different from

sayText ("<prosody pitch='x-high' rate='+3%'> My mom says too much chocolate is not good for you. So I won't give you any. </prosody>",6,1,3);

Got it. we're looking into it.

To hear what it is supposed to sound like try it here -

https://www.vocalware.com/index/demo

The JS API should sound the same.

I tested your link and I was able to tell the difference. I put the effect string into sayText and it sounds different from what it does on https://www.vocalware.com/index/demo.

It's as if the prosody tag is being ignored in the sayText function

Yes precisely so. We are looking into it - this will be addressed.

This seems to be working

Yes - we deployed an update this morning that fixed this problem.

This issue was missed in our new HTML5 characters, now corrected.

Thanks for calling our attention to it!

Gil